Swim lesson sessions at held at the Charleston YMCA on Saturday’s offering all levels for seven weeks.
How do you know which level to sign your child up for?
The Learn-to-Swim program focuses on building skills one step at a time. By giving them the opportunity to master one element before moving onto the next, our kids’ swim classes make it easy to build confidence in the water.
During their swim lessons, children will spend time on the following six levels:
- Level 1 – Introduction to Water Skills: Students will learn how to feel comfortable in the water and safely enjoy it. This class helps children develop confidence around water while teaching important fundamental and survival skills such as safe entrance into the pool, bobbing, floating, and submerging under water, treading water while using arms and hands with alternating arm and leg motions.
- Level 2 – Fundamentals of Aquatic Skills: Children will learn basic swimming skills. Children will further develop skills they learned in the level 1 class. Students learn to jump in submerge underwater while holding their breath, change directions while swimming and treading water using arms and legs together.
- Level 3 – Stroke Development: Additional guided practice will help students improve their skills. This class helps children start to gain basic swimming propulsive skills to be comfortable in and around water. Children will focus on existing skills and developing those along with: rotary breathing, change from vertical to horizontal position on front and back, push off in streamlined position on front, then begin kicking, and swim elementary backstroke.
- Level 4 – Stroke Improvement: Children will gain confidence during swim lessons, improve their stroke and gain additional aquatic skills. Swimmers will learn the headfirst entry in compact and stride positions; focus on underwater swimming and sharping their skills in water safety.
- Level 5 – Stroke Refinement: Guidance allows kids to refine their strokes and become more efficient swimmers. Your child will learn shallow-angle dive into deep water, tuck surface dive, pike surface dive along with other water skills.
- Level 6 – Swimming and Skill Proficiency: Students will learn to swim with ease and efficiency, and gain the ability to swim smoothly over greater distances working on endurance. Swimmers will also have the option to participate in more advanced courses.