At the YMCA, one of the focus areas of our mission is to promote healthy living in the Kanawha Valley. If you’re like many people, healthy living success may seem unattainable, and taking ownership of your own health may seem intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. Living a healthy life doesn’t have to be complicated, and you might even find it’s a lot more simple than you previously thought. Here we have provided some of our best tips for you to find the healthy living success you’ve been looking for.
Maintain a Healthy Diet
Eating a balanced diet is one of the most important things you can do to live a healthy life. Here are a few quick tips to help you stay on track with your diet.
- Limit sugar to 50 grams or less per day
- Include a variety of proteins in your diet
- Keep your salt under 1 gram per day
- Incorporate lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
Drinking enough water is important to keep your body functioning properly. Water prevents dehydration, keeps joints moving smoothly, regulates body temperature, and is necessary for getting rid of waste in your body.
Instead of sugary soda or alcoholic drinks, make it a habit to reach for water when the option is presented. You’ll feel better, save calories, and save money in the process.
Get into a routine of exercising. According to the CDC, adults need 150 minutes of physical activity per week. Break it up and make it a part of your daily schedule to get 30 minutes of exercise during the week to reach that CDC-recommended amount. Exercise is a crucial part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Not having an active lifestyle puts you at a greater risk of a long list of health complications. Some of the benefits of being active include the following
- Reduce the risk of disease
- Increased bone density
- Increased muscle mass
- Reduced anxiety
- Improved quality of life and ability to perform everyday activities
- Weight management
- Increase your chance of living longer
Prioritize Your Sleep
Sleeping well is one of the most important and of the most overlooked things you can do for healthy living success. Sleep is vital for brain health, repairing your body, regulating mood, and many other things. Here are a few tips to help you maximize your sleep time.
According to the NIH, there are 3 key components to getting quality sleep. Quantity, quality, and consistency. Below are some tips to help you maximize your sleep efficiency.
- Stick to the same sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. This keeps your body’s circadian rhythm in tune and makes you feel more rested.
- Watch what you consume before bed. Avoid drinking any sugary, caffeinated, or alcoholic drinks. All of these will significantly impact your quality of sleep. Eating a heavy meal or snack before bed can have the same effect and impact your sleep quality.
- Don’t look at screens before bed. The blue light emitted from screens is harmful to your sleep and can prevent you from getting a deep sleep that your body needs. Reading a book or listening to music are a couple of better ways for you to unwind at night.
- Optimize your sleep environment. Have your room be as dark and quiet as possible. You should also have your room be cool. Experts say that under 70 degrees is optimal for you to get the best quality sleep.
Ready To Achieve The Healthy Living Success You’re Looking For?
Founded in 1906, The YMCA of Kanawha Valley exists to provide a place for residents to build healthy spirits, minds, and bodies. For more information or to inquire into our various services and programs, please contact [email protected] or call 304.340.3527.